Most people don’t give their roof much thought until a problem arises. Roofing Logic is here to help. We have 35+ years of experience in the field and can guide you through the process.
When you are reconsidering replacing your roof, you have some decisions to make. These decisions will decide the cost, quality, and appearance of your roof. The first thing you have to decide is what kind of roofing material you need. The following is your guide to one of the most common types of roofing materials, asphalt shingles.
Asphalt or Composite Shingles?
- Asphalt shingles are also known as composite shingles or fiberglass shingles.
- Asphalt shingles are the most common roofing material used in the US.
- Composite shingles are called that because they are made of a composite of materials as opposed to a single material, such as clay or wood.
What are they made of?
- Composite shingles are made of fiberglass mat that is embedded in an asphalt or cellulose mat.
- Granules of minerals and asphalt make up the top layer.
What are their qualities?
- Asphalt shingles are highly durable.
- You have many colors to choose from, each with its own effect on the appearance of the roof.
- Because there are so many types of minerals that can be used for the top layer, you can choose from many colors.
- Asphalt shingles are rated highly for fire resistance.
How long to do they last?
- The technology in roofing has greatly changed in recent years. Roofing materials now include synthetic underlayments and extreme wind protection, and these new materials allow manufacturers to offer a 50-year warranty.
- Things that can affect the lifespan of a roof include the underlayers, ventilation, and the slope of the roof.